20 Self-Care Strategies and Benefits for Working Moms
Working moms have so much to take care of that you should be prioritizing using self-care strategies and their benefits to assist you with daily normalcy. It almost seems that your day never ends.
We work a traditional or non-traditional job and then the other jobs begin as a mom. To support you being your best, here are 20 self-care strategies and benefits for working moms:
1). Building a supportive community. Connecting with other women who have similarities as you will be the best step to creating a community that offers support.
- Check in with your current friends and let them know your goal for the community.
- Meet some of the moms of the students in your kids’ class.
- Reach out to moms at your church or in your neighborhood.
2). Think about activities or hobbies that you enjoy.
- Walk in the park
3). Time-block your day as best you can. You will be able to place your self-care activity right in. One of the best parts of time blocking your day is that you can see your entire day at a glance and write in your self-care choice. Understanding that a mom’s day is full of change, try your best to time your self-care time that makes the most sense. Set yourself up for success.
- Before the kids wake up
- After the kids go to bed
- While the kids are napping
The next suggestions will definitely keep you excited!
4). When was the last time you read a book that interests you? Reading a good book is a way to relax and a way to avoid thinking about anything else. Just think about when children are read to. They seem so calm and in an enjoyable state. Here are a couple of book genres that might help:
5). Revive at least 2 things in your life that you love that you stopped when you became a mom. For many reasons, we believe that once motherhood begins, we should stop doing what might not be mom-like. Oh, are we wrong?
- The way you dressed gave you confidence
- Places you would frequent that made you happy
6). How wonderful beauty routines make you feel. It doesn’t take the entire makeup routine. Just a few fun parts will give you a whole new glow!
- Lip gloss (cute colors)
- Light foundation
7). Having dinner with close friends can be one of the best self-care strategies and benefits for working moms ever! You all have so much in common as women and as parents. It is even more significant when you can find other things you all enjoy:
- Genres of books
- Professional goals
- Foods to discover
My friends/Sorority sisters Nzinga and Shante) and I (I’m in the gold dress) enjoyed dinner together at Crunkleton and had a wonderful time over a great meal!
8). Remember those at-home skin routines? This is a great time to add those ideas to your calendar.
- Facial Masks
- Albolene cream on the face, then steam (helps cleans the pores)
- Choosing the most adorable mirror can be a game-changer. Take a look at this one from Majestic Vanity Mirrors!
9). Mark your calendar to plan to spend time with your friends. Make sure you keep that appointment.
- Use a digital calendar
- Google calendar is great. It sends you a notification.
- A paper calendar or a daily calendar journal
10). Have Fun! Choose ways that make you happy. When was the last time you had fun? Do more of that!
- Were you playing a game?
- Having a few drinks with the girls?
- Deep in your comfortable binge-watching great movies?
Having fun yet?!
11). Declutter the perfect space in your home. Several spaces would be great for time well spent. After you have chosen your space, remove everything that shouldn’t be there and place it where it belongs or discard it if it no longer has a purpose.
- A comfy chair or large pillows to sit on
- Your favorite lamp
- A small table
- Soft blankets
12). Resurrect an old hobby. Think about a hobby you used to have but no longer for whatever reason. Bring it back and schedule it this month!
- Choose a day and time and vow to get started
- Ask a friend to join you
13). Try a new activity. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to try something new these days? Let today be the day you begin to think of what’s next!
It’s always a good time for Relax and Relaxation (R & R)!!!
- A comfortable space, pillows, bed, soft chair, recliner, etc
- Your favorite drink of choice
- Earbuds if you desire
15). Forgive yourself — It’s okay if you didn’t complete everything you planned today. As moms, we tend to blame ourselves if we are not the ultimate woman most people want us to be. We have to understand that we are not, and that’s okay. The way we can offer self-care to ourselves in times like these is to be okay with not completing it all. How about rewarding yourself for a small win:
- A favorite snack or drink
- New book
- Great smelling candle
16). Set boundaries for yourself and expect others to respect them. One of the best things you can do is know what is best for you. Setting boundaries for yourself and letting others know benefits you being in control of your space and time.
- Remind others that your space is valuable
- Your time is yours
- You are allowed to do what is best for you
17). Journal regularly. This strategy can benefit you as a writer and a goal setter. You know they say only when you write details down, it is more than likely that you will manifest it.
You don’t need to write 5 pages during each sitting. A paragraph, sentence, or even a word will suffice, as long as it resonates somehow with you. Remember this is up to you. Write what you love and what you need to get through the moment.
- Journal on your laptop
- Write down your thoughts in a paperback Journal created by me. Order yours today! Just click the pic!
18). Cook that beautiful meal you pinned on Pinterest.
- Yummy casserole
- Steak and shrimp
- Veggie lasagna
There’s nothing like good food!
19). Take a long hot shower or bath. It is well-deserved and will hopefully give you a new woman feel! Now, just a shower is not all. Think about everything that goes along with it.
- Using your favorite body wash or scrub
- Choose the softest, most colorful towels (or your favorite)
- Pour in the bubble bath with the best scent
20). Nap when the baby naps… If your kids are older, nap when your kids are napping…If your kid is even bigger… make sure they have a movie or toys to occupy their time while, yes, you can take a nap.
- If they are smaller, nap in segments
- For older children, most will be busy with toys, books
- Nap with no guilt
These are just 20 of hundreds of ways you can implement self-care stratiegies and rountines in your day. Your self-care matters! Make it a priority. If for no other reason than to be a better you. You deserve it.
Tell me, Which self-care strategies will you choose today? Is there a self-care strategy you use that is not on this list? We’d love to know!
- Finding A Daycare Center Your Family Will Love - June 18, 2022
- Moms, What You Need Is Important Too - May 29, 2022
- A Set Of Pots, A Screwdriver, And A Bottle Of Wine - May 8, 2022